Monday, July 13, 2009

Woods & Irons, Irons & Woods

Golf is a great game. As a beginner, finding the right club to learn with can be difficult, and even a little intimidating. There are eight clubs altogether, ranging from a 3-iron to a pitching wedge (3-PW), and also a putter. If you’ve been miniature golfing before, you should be familiar with what a putter is – the only difference is that a putter in this case is solid steel and a bit heavier than the plastic ones at a miniature golf course. There are two types of clubs – irons and woods. Irons have thin, steel club heads with grooved faces. Woods are made of steel as well, but have thick club heads and are easier to start out with when you’re a beginner.

Like I said in my last post, during my first golfing experience I started out with a 3-iron Wilson golf club. I thought this was a good choice until the next time I went golfing and used a 9-wood. 7-woods and 9-woods are often beneficial for women and seniors, especially when starting out, because they allow you to change the face angle, loft lie, and angle to affect the ball flight. This was proven to me when I used the 9-wood to hit. Once again, out on the green, I took a whack at the little Maxfli golf ball at my feet and sent it flying about 200 yards ahead of me. Now obviously this takes some technique as well, which I still have yet to master, but the 9-wood is definitely a good way to go when starting out!

Taylor Made R9 Fairway Wood

No comments:

Post a Comment